A. General Policy
Childrearing leave consists of parental bonding leave and/or parental leave.
- Parental Bonding Leave: a leave without salary granted for the purpose of caring for and bonding with a newborn child or a child newly placed for adoption or foster care, and to attend to matters related to the birth, adoption, or placement of the child.
- Normally, this leave combined with Childbearing Leave and/or Active Service-Modified Duties may not exceed one year for each birth or adoption (APM 760-27, and 760-35).
- If eligible for Family and Medical Leave (FML), up to 12 workweeks of the parental bonding leave will run concurrently with FML, (APM 760-27-b).
- Parental Bonding leave (Baby Bonding leave) must be concluded within twelve (12) months following the birth or placement of the child or children.
- The aggregate duration of all leaves, plus periods of Active Service-Modified duties, may not exceed one year per single birth/adoption.
- Parental Leave: a leave normally without salary. Full-time or part-time parental leave without pay for one year to care for a child (parental leave). The child may be the appointee’s child or that of a spouse or domestic partner.
- Pay Status:
- Pay for Family Care and Bonding (PFCB): Effective July 1, 2021, Pay for Family Care and Bonding (PFCB) provides a pay option for block leave taken in minimum one workweek block increments for family and medical leave (FML) qualifying reasons (APP 7-45). If leave is to be other than without salary, provide an explanation (if appropriate, vacation/leave usage).
- Other Pay Options During a Childrearing Leave: Appointee have the option to use accrued sick or vacation leave may be used, during a Parental Bonding Leave or Parental Leave that would otherwise be unpaid.
- Who is eligible: Birth, adopting and foster parents.
B. Leave Request
- Complete the Leave of Absence form AP-UCI-76.
- Specify start and end dates; for academic year appointees, these should correspond with the beginning and end of a quarter.
- Final Approval Authority:
- Seven calendar days or less: Department Chair
- Eight calendar days or more: Vice Provost
- Complete Family Medical Leave Form