COVID-19 FAQs for Academics
In addition to the UCI Academic FAQs listed below, the UC Office of the President has also created a FAQ relating to President Napolitano's announcement regarding job protections.
Academic Review Process
The requirement to include student evaluations in Academic Personnel review files resumed for all teaching titles, for all classes taught during Winter quarter 2021 and thereafter. The evaluations will still have the COVID remote instruction quarter watermark for Winter 2021, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, and Winter 2022 (updated 1/24/2022).
Yes, if a faculty deferred a review during the 2021-2022 review cycle, they can request a consecutive deferral (regardless of deferral type) in the 2022-2023 review cycle. This deferral would be Dean Delegated. (updated 6/7/22)
The following COVID-19 deferrals will not be delegated to the dean and will require Vice Provost approval and submitted to Academic Personnel by November 1 of the academic year under review. If the deferral is not approved, the faculty will be required to submit a review file.
- Any third consecutive deferral request will require dean and chair to provide justification for the deferral request.
- For individuals who are/were due for review during required 5 years, Vice Provost will allow for the dean to approve the first deferral (will go up for review during the sixth year), but the second consecutive deferral (will go up for review during their seventh year) will require Vice Provost approval with a justification from the dean and chair. (updated 5/27/21)
Faculty who use a one year COVID-STC and have a subsequent regular review action that results in a reappointment without a salary increase (due to low productivity related to COVID-19) will receive retroactive pay when they are promoted to associate rank. Assistant rank faculty who are approved for a stop the clock and receive a reappointment only for reasons other than COVID-19 are not eligible for retroactive pay. Only the salary is retroactive. The final decision on the promotion (rank and step) will be the year in which it occurs. For an assistant rank faculty whose promotion is effective July 1, 2027, and if they received a reappointment without a salary increase at any time since initiating COVID-STC, then their promotion salary would be retroactive to July 1, 2026, but their promotion to Associate Professor is effective July 1, 2027. (updated 7/30/21)
An eligible faculty may only request up to two STC due to COVID-19. For a second COVID-19 STC, provide a memo with rationale for the request from the faculty, along with a signed concurrence by the dean and chair. In total, a faculty may not exceed 3 Stop the Clocks during their probationary period
- They have made strong contributions to teaching and service during the review period; and
- Their contributions to research/creative activity are consistent with the achievement relative to opportunities, even if productivity/impact is less than expected pre-COVID-19.
- Achievement Relative to Opportunities principles encourage “evaluation of candidates fairly based on their individual review-period professional accomplishments by taking into account unexpected or disruptive circumstances during that period that may have curtailed the candidate’s normal ability to achieve expected outcomes.” (From UC Academic Senate Recommendations to President Drake on Mitigating COVID-19 Impacts on Faculty, 1/26/21)
- If otherwise: COVID-stop the clock (pre-tenure) and COVID-deferral (post-tenure) are available.
- Accelerations will require similar activity and impact as prior to COVID-19.
Leaves and Sabbaticals
To request for 2022 EPSL, employees must complete the Leave of Absence form (UCI-AP-76) and the 2022 Emergency Paid Sick Leave Notice and Request Form (pages 4-5) and route via department chair, dean and to the Office of Academic Personnel for Vice Provost for Academic Personnel approval.
Return to Onsite Operations
Consistent with APM policies (110, 025, 671, 700), Collective Bargaining Agreements, and other policies, academic appointees are expected to maintain a significant presence on campus in order to fulfill their obligations to students, colleagues, and the University. This guidance was undergirded by UC’s commitment to equity, especially for communities that are disparately impacted by the pandemic.
- Fall 2021 – a period of transition
- Faculty: in person with potential flexibility if remote instructional delivery modality is approved by department/school/senate
- Non-faculty academics: flexible arrangement allowed
- Winter 2022 and beyond: return to onsite operation
- Support student learning
- Strengthen and support our innovative work
Flexible Work arrangement, if agreed to/approved by the department chairs, should be documented with a Flexible Work Agreement.
|Quarter||Faculty||Non-Faculty Academic Appointees|
|Winter 2022 and Beyond||
The following academic appointees are permitted to temporarily telework from overseas, by exceptional approval, if they are:
- Academic appointees (including student employees) who have a visa but are subject to a travel restriction and cannot enter the U.S;
- Newly appointed academic appointees (including student employees) who have been unable to obtain their visa to enter the U.S; and
- Current academic appointees (including student employees) who have been unable to renew their visa to enter the U.S.
- February 23, 2022 - 2022 Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL)
- January 24, 2022 - Continued Watermark on Student Evaluations
- January 12, 2022 - Interim COVID-19 Modified Duties Shared Funding Program for Assistant Rank Faculty
- August 30, 2021 – New Senate Faculty Funding Program to Support Recovery of Research/Creative Activity Impacted by COVID-19
- August 4, 2021 – Return to Onsite Operations Fall 2021 – Flexible Work Arrangements
- June 16, 2021 – Academic Appointees Teleworking Abroad – Frequently Asked Questions and Request Form
- April 5, 2021 – UC Approves Additional 80 Hours of Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL)
- March 11, 2021 – Update on Student Teaching Evaluations in Review Files
- January 13, 2021 – COVID-19 Stop the Clock Retroactive Pay Implementation
- December 8, 2020 – Flu Vaccination Compliance Guidelines for Faculty and Other Academic Appointees
- November 16, 2020 – Extension of COVID-19 UC Expanded Paid Administrative Leave (EPAL)
- November 12, 2020 – Documenting COVID-19 Impact in Merit and Promotion Files
- November 10, 2020 – Interim COVID-19 Modified Duties Shared Funding Program for Assistant Rank Faculty
- October 28, 2020 – COVID-19 Stop the Clock (COVID-STC): Updates & Reminders
- October 15, 2020 – COVID-19 Stop the Clock (COVID-STC): October 2020 Revision – Retroactive Pay
- September 22, 2020 – Sick/Paid Medical Leave for Childcare for Fall Quarter 2020
- September 3, 2020 – What to do When a COVID Case Occurs
- August 24,2020 – Daily Symptom Check Screening Now Mandatory for All Employees
- August 21, 2020 – COVID-19 leave options due to daycare/school closure
- March 25, 2020 – Academic Personnel Review and COVID-19 for Senate and Non-Senate
- March 23, 2020 – Additional Guidance for Academic Review due to COVID-19
- March 18, 2020 – Academic Personnel Review and COVID-19
- March 10, 2020 – COVID-19 Updates and Resources
COVID-19 Return to Campus/Safety Compliance Guidelines
Academic Appointees Teleworking Abroad
Interim COVID-19 Research Recovery Program (ICRRP)
Documenting COVID-19 Impact in Merit and Promotion Files
NEW UCI COVID-19 Mitigation Program: COVID-19 Sabbatical Credit Return Request
- COVID-19 Related Leaves: Definitions, Eligibility, & Application Process
- Managing Workplace Adjustments and Accommodations for Faculty and other Academic Appointees
- FAQs: COVID-19 Leaves and Workplace Adjustments and Accommodations
- UC Office of the President Communications (pdf)
- Guidance Regarding COVID-19 Related Leaves (fifth issuance) – September 30, 2022
- Guidance Regarding COVID-19 Related Leaves– October 6, 2021
- Expanded Paid Administrative Leave for Academic Appointees: Guidance for Supervisors – Updated March 31, 2021
- President Drake’s Amended Executive Order – Updated November 12, 2020
- COVID-19 Leaves and Job Protection Guidance for Academic Personnel – Updated October 12, 2020
- COVID-19: Leave Guidance for Academic Supervisors – Updated April 27, 2020
- President Napolitano’s Executive Order – March 16, 2020
- Leave and Modified Duties Forms
UCI has extended the partnership with Bright Horizons® to offer Back-Up Care™ and Enhanced Family Supports™ Program for all UCI faculty/academics, staff, resident physicians, and graduate students.
Whether you need support this summer during school breaks, caregiver vacations, or helping your child stay on track with academics, you can access up to 10 uses of subsidized back-up care through October 31, 2022.
- UCI COVID-19 Website
- Remote Delivery Course Resources
- Office of Research
- Wellness Resources
- Environmental Health & Safety - Ergonomics: Working Remotely
- Environmental Health & Safety Equipment Loan Agreement
- Child and Elder Care Resources
- Returning to Campus
- Additional COVID-19 Resources
- Non-UCI Affiliates/Vendor Guidance