UC Irvine provides reasonable accommodations1 through an interactive process2 for individuals with disabilities3 who cannot perform the essential functions of a job4.
1 Reasonable Accommodation: an adjustment to a job, or to physical tools and surroundings, or a provision of assistance, that will enable an employee to perform the essential functions of their position without imposing an undue hardship on the operation of the employer’s business.
2 The Interactive Process: The interactive process is an ongoing dialogue between the appointee and appropriate representatives of the University about possible options for reasonably accommodating an appointee with a disability
3 An Individual with a Disability is a person who:
- Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities
- Has a record of such an impairment; or
- Is regarded as having such impairment.
4 Essential Functions of a job or position: “Essential functions” means the fundamental job duties of the employment position. A job function may be considered essential for a variety of reasons including:
- The reason the position exists is to perform that function
- The function may be essential because of the limited number of employees available among whom the performance of that job function can be distributed
- The function may be highly specialized, so that the incumbent in the position is hired for his or her expertise or ability to perform the particular function.
Dean included in process, as deemed necessary
|1. Familiarize yourself with the applicable policy and Interactive Process Checklist|
|2. Begin the essential functions of a job4||
All steps of the interactive process must be documented.
|3. Provide the employee with written notice of request for medical documentation||Ask the employee for documentation from a licensed healthcare provider that outlines functional limitations.|
|4. Work with Chief Personnel Officer (CPO), Disability Management Consultant, Academic Personnel, and include employee:||
|5. CPO obtains necessary approvals from Dean and/or Vice Provost when an accommodation requires approval beyond departmental level||
|6. Department implements reasonable accommodation and monitors its effectiveness||
|7. If accommodation requires revisions, contact Disability and Rehabilitation Consultant, (949) 827-9756,||