- Faculty members do not accrue sick leave. But eligible faculty members (as defined by APM 110-15) who are not members of the Health Sciences Compensation Plan, and have a full-time appointment for at least a full academic year (three quarters or two semesters) who are unable to work for reasons of personal illness, injury, or disability shall be granted paid medical leave as follows:
|Length of total UC service in eligible title(s)||Maximum paid sick leave for consecutive or intermittent paid medical leave within a ten-year period|
|Less than 10 years||Up to 2 quarters for academic-year appointee
Up to 6 months for fiscal-year appointee
Up to 1 semester for semester system faculty
|10 years or more||Up to 3 quarters for academic-year appointee
Up to 12 months for fiscal-year appointee
Up to 2 semesters for semester system faculty
- Faculty members with term appointments will not be granted paid medical leave beyond the end date of the term appointment except in cases of reappointment.
- Non-faculty academic appointees employed at 50% time or more are eligible to accrue sick leave credit. For a list of eligible titles or series, refer to APM 710-14.
- Rate of Accrual:
- The rate of sick leave accrual is one working day (eight hours) per month for full-time service. Eligible appointees employed at 50% time or more accrue sick leave at a proportionate rate; appointees at less than 50% time do not accrue sick leave.
- Sick leave is accrued when an academic appointee is on an approved leave of absence with pay. Sick leave is not accrued during periods of leave without pay, except when an appointee receives temporary disability for a work-incurred injury or illness. In the latter case, sick leave will accrue while the employee is receiving temporary disability, but will not be credited for use until the employee returns to work.
- Rate of Accrual:
B. Requesting Sick Leave
- Submit a Leave of Absence form (UCI-AP-76).
- If greater than seven (7) calendar days: Also submit a medical certification form from the employee’s health care provider to the department. The department should fill out the FML “Notice of Eligibility and Rights Responsibilities” Form and forward to Academic Personnel via the dean. These forms are also used if the leave is for an extended period of time without salary.
- Approval Authority:
- Seven days or less without compensation: Department Chair.
- Greater than seven (7) calendar days and less than thirty (30) days with or without pay: Dean.
- Greater than thirty (30) calendar days without pay: Dean.
- Greater than thirty (30) calendar days with pay: Vice Provost.