- The appointee remains in service to the University, but with modified duties. For most appointees, this means a period in which the faculty member does not teach. This is not a leave.
- Eligibility for a period of active service-modified duties (ASMD) shall normally extend from 3 months prior to and up to 12 months following the birth or adoption of a child and may be granted to any academic appointee who has 50% or more responsibility for the care of the child, who is five (5) years of age or under.
- The total period of Childbearing Leave plus Active Service-Modified Duties (ASMD) for a birth mother, who has a full-time appointment for at least one full academic year 1, may not exceed three quarters/two semesters for each birth. If she gives birth during the summer she is eligible for a total period of active service-modified duties of three quarters/two semesters.
- All other eligible academic appointees 2 are eligible for a total period of Childbearing Leave plus Active Service-Modified Duties (ASMD) of one quarter (APM 760-28).
- Central funding for the purpose of providing ladder rank faculty teaching replacement is allocated to the affected academic department.
- Who is eligible: Birth, adopting and foster parents.
- Appointee must certify that they have at least 50% of the primary responsibility for the care of the child in order to be eligible for Active Service Modified Duties.
- What is Active Service Modified Duties
- Modified duties for a ladder faculty appointee are normally relief from teaching; however, other arrangements are possible.
- During a period of Active Service-Modified Duties, the appointee is on active status.
- Active Service-Modified Duties is not a leave of absence.
- For restrictions and timing, see APM 760-28.
- How to request for Active Service Modified Duties:
- Complete the “Active Service – Modified Duties Request/Certification” form UCI-AP-91.
- How to complete the form:
- Specify the quarter(s) requested for ASMD: Policy allows three quarters/two semesters of combined childbearing leave plus ASMD for a birth mother who has a full-time appointment for at least one full academic year; with one quarter of combined childbearing leave plus ASMD allowed for other appointees 3.
- Describe the modified duties as agreed between the appointee and department chair, subject to the dean’s review and endorsement.
- The department can request for Funding for Teaching Release for Ladder Rank Faculty
- In order to minimize the financial impact this might place on the instructional program of the department, central funding for replacement teaching will be provided to the affected department.
- This request is initiated by the faculty member at the time the period of leave or active service-modified duties is requested, by completing the “Request for Funding for Ladder Rank Faculty Teaching Release For Birth or Adoption of Child(ren),” form UCI-AP-93.
- The Department Chair provides information on the individual’s teaching load and the form is forwarded through the Dean to the Office of Academic Personnel for review and approval.
1 Academic appointees in their first-year of appointment will be eligible for this benefit if they have been appointed for full time for the entire year. For example, a newly appointed academic appointee in her first year of full-time full-year appointment will be eligible to request ASMD if she meets the criteria specified for ASMD.
2 This group includes: Fathers with full-time/full-year appointments, adoptive or foster parents, academic appointees with part-time appointments one-year or less, or full-time appointment for less than one full year.
3 Does not apply to Health Sciences Compensation Plan faculty members.