UC has approved an additional 80 hours for Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL), available immediately through September 30, 2021, for all staff and academic employees, including represented, student, and healthcare employees. For more information, please read the UC announcement.
These 80 hours of EPSL are in addition to the 128 hours of Paid Administrative Leave (PAL) that were originally provided by UC on March 1, 2020 and remains available through June 30, 2021.
EPSL hours are available to employees who are unable to work or telework for the reasons below:
- The employee is subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.
- The employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- The employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and is seeking a medical diagnosis from a health care provider.
- The employee has been exposed to COVID-19 and is seeking or awaiting the results of a diagnostic test for, or a medical diagnosis of, COVID-19.
- The University has requested that the employee obtain a diagnostic test for, or a medical diagnosis of, COVID-19, and the employee is seeking or awaiting those results.
- The employee is obtaining immunization related to COVID-19.
- The employee is recovering from an injury, disability, illness, or condition related to obtaining immunization related to COVID-19.
- The employee is caring for an individual who is either subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19 or who has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- The employee is caring for their child whose school or place of care has closed (or whose child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19.
- The employee is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Employees are able to take EPSL between March 29, 2021 and September 30, 2021. If an employee took any leave between January 1, 2021 and March 28, 2021 for one or more of the above EPSL qualifying reasons but was not paid, the employee may request that the University allow them to retroactively use EPSL.
Visit https://ap.uci.edu/covid19/ for “Guidance Regarding COVID-19 Related Leave,” or contact your school dean’s office or Office of Academic Personnel, email@example.com.
Diane K. O’Dowd
Vice Provost for Academic Personnel