CHIEF PERSONNEL OFFICERS
In March 2020, UCI announced a COVID-19 stop the clock (COVID-STC) provision that applies to all currently employed faculty members at the Assistant rank (who were employed in March 2020) in the following series: Professor/Professor of Teaching/Professor In Residence/Professor of Clinical X, Health Sciences Clinical Professor (at more than 50% time) and Adjunct Professor (at more than 50% time).
Since then, the following adjustments and communications have been made:
- In June 2020, it was updated to extend eligibility to new junior faculty joining UCI while we are operating in pandemic mode.
- Eligible faculty may defer a Mid-Career Appraisal, by submitting a COVID-STC by the end of the faculty member’s third year (by June 30) or before July 1 of the academic year in which a promotion review is to occur. Faculty who Stop the Clock will still have to be reappointed with or without a merit during their normal time.
- We also confirmed that a faculty member who has activated a STC can still submit a Mid-Career Appraisal and/or promotion review at normative time and the file shall be evaluated without prejudice as if the work were done in the normal period of service.
- If an individual has already activated two STCs previously, they can still request a third COVID-STC (subject to UCOP approval).
- On October 15, 2020, the Office of Academic Personnel communicated, once a faculty member taking COVID-19 STC is promoted from the rank of Assistant to Associate, the Interim Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor has approved making the promotion salary retroactive to the previous year. The promotion rank and step will not be retroactive. The announcement can be found, https://ap.uci.edu/covid19stc-revision/ in addition to FAQs, https://ap.uci.edu/covid19/.
Should you have additional questions, please contact your assigned academic personnel analyst.
Office of Academic Personnel