UCI Postdoctoral Scholars are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the Regents of the University of California and the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW). The agreement between the Regents and the UAW can be found here. Click here for current contract information.
Forms and Checklists
|Category||Form Type||Form Number|
|Employment Forms||Documentation Checklist||UCI-AP-PX2|
|Postdoctoral Scholar Employment Form||UCI-AP-PX1|
|Annual Review||Postdoctoral Scholar Annual Review — Progress Assessment||UCI-AP-PX3|
|Other||Union Membership Election Form||--|
|Individual Development Plan (IDP) Guidelines||--|
|Individual Development Plan (IDP) Form||--|
Anniversary Date Changes
A change to the Anniversary Date can occur when a Postdoctoral Scholar changes:
- Title Name and Code
- Principal Investigators
- Departments, Labs, or Campuses
Option 1: Keep Anniversary Date
- Postdoctoral Scholar will have no immediate experience level or salary increase.
- Their next increase will occur when they reach the original Anniversary Date.
Option 2: Change Anniversary Date
- The appointment start date will become the new Anniversary Date.
- Postdoctoral Scholar will have an immediate increase of one experience level and the corresponding salary increase.
- The new Anniversary Date will be the only date used to track experience level and salary increases.
- 3252 Postdoctoral Scholar — Employee
- 3253 Postdoctoral Scholar — Fellow
- 3254 Postdoctoral Scholar — Paid Direct
- 3255 Postdoctoral Scholar — Employee NEX
- 3256 Postdoctoral Scholar — Interim
Salary & Benefits
- Postdoctoral Scholars Salary Scale
- Salary Scale Implementation Overview Slides
- Postdoctoral Scholar Benefits Plan (PSBP)
Policies & Procedures
- Redelegation of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Grievance and Appeal Procedures for Non-Represented Postdoctoral Scholars
- Specialists vs. Postdocs – what’s the difference?
Layoff/Reduction in Time
Layoff (Article 11 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement) is defined as an involuntary separation, or a reduction in percent effort or duration of appointment for a Postdoctoral Scholar prior to the established appointment end date as a result of appropriate funding becoming unavailable.
Written notice shall be provided to Postdoctoral Scholar at least thirty (30) calendar days in advance of the effective date of the layoff. When a department is proposing to effectuate a layoff or reduction in time for a Postdoctoral Scholar, the following steps must be followed:
- Submit a written request for layoff, including specifying the reason and any supporting document, and a draft layoff notice using the sample layoff notice to the School Dean’s Office.
- Dean’s Office will submit the above documents to the Academic Personnel Office for review.
- Academic Personnel will inform the School Dean’s Office, which will in turn inform the department, to issue the layoff notice to affected Postdoctoral Scholar.
- Academic Personnel will inform the Labor Relations Office, which will be responsible to provide the requisite notice to the UAW.