All academics are eligible for military leave without pay. In addition, individuals who have been in service at UCI for a full year prior to the military leave will be granted leave with pay for the first 30 calendar days of military leave.
Types of military leave covered by this policy include:
- Reserve training for inactive duty: weekly or monthly meetings or weekend drills.
- Temporary military leave: ordered to active duty, for training not to exceed one hundred and eighty (180) calendar days, including time spent traveling.
- Extended military leave: academic appointee enlists or is ordered into active-duty service of any length or active-duty training for more than one hundred and eighty (180) days, or ordered into active federal military duty as a member of the National Guard or Navel Militia. Leave will be granted for a period not to exceed five (5) years, unless required by law. Leaves will also be granted for a period up to six (6) months from the date of release from duty.
- Emergency National Guard: academic appointee who is a national guard is called to active duty by the Governor during a state of emergency. If called to active federal military duty by the President of the United States, the leave will be granted under the extended military leave.
- Civil Air Patrol: academic appointee who as a volunteer member is directed and authorized to respond to an emergency operational mission of the California Wing of the Civil Air Patrol. Leave will be granted for a period not to exceed ten (10) days per calendar year, as long as the academic appointees has been employed by the University for ninety (90) days immediately preceding the commencement of leave.
- Physical Exam: academic appointee is required to take a pre-induction or pre-enlistment physical examination.
All employees who, as members of the National Guard, the Armed Forces, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, or any other category designated by the President, are serving on active military duty in support of an ongoing overseas military mobilization campaign are eligible for supplements to their military pay.
Supplement to Military Pay will begin on the first day of unpaid military leave. The Supplement to Military Pay will extend for a period not to exceed the employee’s tour of active duty, until June 30, 2022, or until the separation date of an employee’s University appointment, whichever comes first.
- Health Sciences Compensation Plan: Eligible for the base salary and the negotiated compensation when military leave commences, plus faculty recruitment allowance, if applicable.
- Academic: Eligible for regular base pay rate, including applicable stipends (ex. administrative appointments) and faculty recruitment allowance.
- Range Adjustments, Merit Increases, and Promotion Increases: The base pay rate will be adjusted for range adjustments, merit increases, and promotion increases that would have been granted had the employee not been ordered to active military duty.
- Submit a Leave of Absence form (AP-UCI-76).
- Approval authority:
- Seven days or less without compensation: Department Chair.
- Greater than seven (7) calendar days and less than thirty (30) days with or without pay: Dean.
- Greater than thirty (30) calendar days without pay: Dean.
- Greater than thirty (30) calendar days with pay: Vice Provost.