All ladder-rank faculty with initial appointments starting 10/1/19 – 9/30/20 are welcome to attend. At this full-day program, we will cover faculty governance, faculty diversity, academic personnel review process, mental health resources, and faculty resources. In addition, a panel of faculty will share what they wish they knew in their first year. This year’s program will include a life theater presentation on sexual harassment training and a conversation during lunch with the Provost. Registration for the Sexual Violence Sexual Harassment (SVSH) Prevention Training presented by the Life Theatre Group is required in order for faculty to receive credit for completion.
Please RSVP for 2019-2020 New Faculty Orientation here by Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
Please register for SVSH Prevention Training here.
- 7:45-8:00 am | Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:00-8:05 am Welcome and Introduction by Diane O’Dowd, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel
- 8:05-8:50 am | Faculty Diversity with Doug Haynes, Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence, Katie Bolzendahl, Equity Advisor, School of Social Sciences; Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Lisa Flanagan, Equity Advisor, School of Medicine; Associate Professor, Department of Neurology
- 8:50-9:05 am | An Introduction to the Academic Senate James Steintrager, Chair, Academic Senate; Professor, Department of English, School of Humanities
- 9:05-9:35 am | Academic Review Process Diane O’Dowd, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel
- 9:45-11:45 am | SVSH Prevention Training Location: Calit 2 Auditorium Life Theatre Group *additional registration required see link above*
- 12:00-1:00 pm | Lunch with Provost Enrique Lavernia Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor; Distinguish Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The Henry Samueli School of Engineering
- 1:15-1:30 pm | Mental Health Resources Negar Shekarabi, Mental Healthcare Facilitator, Wellness
- 1:30-2:30 pm | What I Wish I’d Known in My First Year Roderic Crooks, Assistant Professor, Department of Informatics Aomawa Shields, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy Natascha Buswell, Assistant Professor of Teaching, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- 2:30-2:45 pm | OIT Faculty Resources Shohreh Bozorgmehri, Director, Student & Academic Services, Office of Information Technology Max Garrick, Assistant Director, Executive Application Support, Office of Information
- 2:45-3:30 pm | Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation Faculty Resources Michael Dennin, Vice Provost and Dean, Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning Andrea Aebersold, Director, Faculty Instructional Development, Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning Brian Sato, Associate Dean, Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation, Professor of Teaching, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry