Issuance of Substantive Revisions to the Leave-Related Policies of the 700 Series of the Academic Personnel Manual (APM)
The following are the revised leave-related policies in the Academic Personnel Manual (APM) 700 series:
- APM – 700, Leaves of Absence/General;
- APM – 710, Leaves of Absence/Sick Leave/Medical Leave;
- APM – 715, Leaves of Absence/Family and Medical Leave;
- APM – 720, Leaves of Absence/Holidays;
- APM – 730, Leaves of Absence/Vacation;
- APM – 740, Leaves of Absence/Sabbatical Leaves;
- APM – 750, Leaves of Absence/Leave for Service to Governmental Agencies;
- APM – 751, Leaves of Absence/Military Leave;
- APM – 752, Leaves of Absence/Leave to Attend Professional Meeting or Other University Business;
- APM – 758, Leaves of Absence/Other Leaves with Pay; and
- APM – 760, Family Accommodations for Childbearing and Childrearing.
The revised policies are effective July 1, 2021 and may be found online on the Academic Personnel and Program website and in the policy issuances and guidelines of APM 700 Series Leave-Related Policies.
The revised policies reflect the following revisions:
- Removal of gendered language – Technical revisions have been made to remove gendered language.
- Increase in paid childbearing leave – Language in APM – 760, Family Accommodations for Childbearing and Childrearing, has been updated to increase the existing paid childbearing leave from six weeks to eight weeks for academic appointees who do not accrue sick leave.
- New Pay for Family Care and Bonding pay option – A new section on Pay for Family Care and Bonding (PFCB) has been added to APM – 715, Leaves of Absence/Family and Medical Leave, and APM – 760, Family Accommodations for Childbearing and Childrearing.
- Changes to comply with SB 1383 – Language has been added to APM – 715, Leaves of Absence/Family and Medical Leave, to expand the definition of family members for whom an appointee may take a family and medical leave under CFRA to include grandparents, grandchildren, and siblings.
- Change in approval authority for leave for service to governmental agencies – Language in APM 750, Leaves of Absence/Leave for Service to Governmental Agencies, has been revised to reflect the Chancellor has approval authority for all leaves for service to governmental agencies regardless of duration.
- New sections on bereavement leave and jury duty leave – Language has been added to APM – 758, Leaves of Absence/Other Leaves with Pay, to specifically address bereavement and jury duty leaves.
- Removal of age requirement of child for Active Service-Modified Duties – Language has been added to APM 760, Family Accommodations for Childbearing and Childrearing, to remove the age requirement of a child for Active Service-Modified Duties. Allows for a child of any age newly placed for adoption or foster care to be covered under APM – 760 for Active Service-Modified Duties.
The Office of Academic Personnel has added the Academic Personnel and Procedures (APP) 7-45, Pay for Family Care and bonding (PFCB), to our website to reflect the new policy. We are working on updating our Academic Personnel Procedures, APP 7 – Leaves and Family Friendly Policies on our AP website to reflect the revised APM 700 series leave-related policies.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (949) 824-0663.
Diane K. O’Dowd
Vice Provost for Academic Personnel