Definitions and Limitations
- A Visiting Scholar must possess a terminal degree or foreign equivalent.
- A Visitor (graduate or undergraduate student) must be enrolled in a degree-granting program or equivalent at a non-University of California institution of higher education.
- Visitors and Visiting Scholars must serve an academic purpose for the unit/department visited.
Visiting Scholars and Visitors may not engage in teaching, patient care, or clinical service.
An individual may not hold a “Visiting Scholar” or “Visitor” title if the individual holds any of the following affiliations with any University of California campus:
- registered student
- any appointment/employment
In some cases, the following titles may be a better fit:
Appointment — Process and Requirements
Any interested prospective Visiting Scholar/Visitor should approach the appropriate Department/Unit regarding sponsorship of an appointment.
Once a Department/Unit has agreed to sponsor, the following needs to be completed:
- If a visa scholarship is needed from UCI, please refer to the International Center website for more information.
- Department submits a Visiting Scholar/Visitor Request Packet containing:
- Appointment Request Form (UCI-AP-VS1).
- Proof of status, if applicable.
- For Visitors only — copy of student identification card or enrollment form from a non-University of California institution of high education where the student is enrolled in a degree-granting program.
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV) or resume. Please include terminal degree and institution for Visiting Scholars.
- Completed Form UCI-AP-9.
- Proof of medical insurance showing effective dates (policy statement or coverage card are acceptable).
- Please visit the Health Insurance Requirements webpage for information on obtaining required health insurance.
- Voluntary Activity Waiver signed by the Visiting Scholar/Visitor.
- Visiting Scholar/Visitor signs the Oath and Patent Acknowledgement no later than first day of appointment.
- The packet should be submitted to Academic Personnel, email@example.com.
- Academic Personnel is the Office of Records for Visiting Scholars.
- If the Vice Provost of Academic Personnel has approved the appointment, a copy of the signed Visiting Scholar/Visitor Appointment Request Form (UCI-AP-VS1) is shared with the Department.
- Department is responsible for informing Visiting Scholar/Visitor of the appointment status.
Once the appointment has been approved the Visiting Scholar/Visitor must:
Visiting Scholars/Visitors are not employees of the University, and should not be entered into the PPS payroll system.
- Visiting Scholars/Visitors are ineligible for compensations or payments in lieu of salary, and must be self-supported or have adequate external support for the duration of their appointments (this includes housing/living arrangements).
Department may provide Visiting Scholars/Visitors with reimbursement:
- of travel expenses, if the expenses are for University business
- of incidental research expenses
- of health insurance and/or professional liability insurance, if appropriate or required
For more information, see Business and Finance Bulletin G-28 for guidelines related to reimbursement of business and travel expenses.
Visiting Scholars/Visitors may be eligible for support:
- in the form of cost of living allowance
- to help defray the amount of money spent on food, cloth, housing, and other basic necessities