The Provost’s office will make available central funding to support commitments to inclusive excellence in faculty hiring. Deans can apply for an “inclusive excellence supplement” to help recruit faculty, identified through a standard department-based search, who contribute significantly to the goal of inclusive excellence. This does not apply to individuals hired in the High Impact Hiring Program (HIHP) or the Midcareer Professor Hiring Initiative.
Proposition 209, codified as article I, section 31 of the California Constitution, prohibits the University from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. Therefore, the University may not use race or gender as a factor in deciding who will be offered employment. Applications should focus on the candidates’ potential to make a significant contribution to inclusive excellence through teaching, research or service.
- If a standard department-based search managed through AP Recruit with one salary control number (SC#) results in the identification of two top candidates who both contribute to inclusive excellence, the Dean can apply to the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel for a supplement to help fund the second candidate.
- Supplement if approved will provide:
- permanent funding of 50% (up to max of $50K) for salary and an initial benefits allocation based on the amount of the salary supplement for the second candidate. The remaining permanent funding required for the second candidate would come from the school.
- standard set up amount for both candidates.
- Total number of supplements per year: Four (4); This is a 2-year pilot.
- Allocated on a first-come first-serve basis.
- If a school applies and only one candidate accepts, the Provost portion is rolled back into the program.
- Submit application to the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel at email@example.com that includes the following:
- Dean/Chair letter with justification of how both candidates contribute to inclusive excellence.
- JPF Number from AP Recruit (job number to identify job ad).
- Diversity Statement for each candidate.
- CV for each candidate.
If you have questions please contact Diane O’Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org.