For Ladder Rank Faculty
Acting Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor
- Following acceptance of a position at UCI, and within 18 months of the approved appointment, the department should complete and forward the Sponsorship Authorization Form (Form AP-85). Mark the type of petition requested.
- With the approval of the Chair and Dean, the form is forwarded to the Office of Academic Personnel for review and authorization by the Vice Provost.
- After approval from the Vice Provost, the original Sponsorship Authorization Form will be returned to the department for the faculty member. Copies will be sent to the Dean, Chair, the International Center, and Seyfarth Shaw LLP. The approved Sponsorship Authorization Form authorizes the law firm to charge the University for services rendered on behalf of the faculty member.
- The faculty member is advised not to contact Seyfarth Shaw LLP. An attorney from Seyfarth Shaw LLP will contact the faculty member.
- Once charges are incurred, Academic Affairs will divide the costs and transfer the department/unit’s share to the Dean’s Office. Please take note that the University does not cover legal expenses and fees for dependents, and that you will be responsible for all such expenditures incurred in your case.
For Other Eligible Academic Appointees
The campus will sponsor employment-based petitions for academic appointees in the following titles:
- Associate and full Professors In Residence
- Associate and full Professors of Clinical “X”
- Associate and full ranks of the Adjunct Professor series
- Associate and full ranks of the Health Sciences Clinical Professor series
- Associate and full ranks of the Professional Researcher series
For academic appointees in other series or at a different rank, requests for exceptions should be fully justified and include a commitment of a minimum of three years of support for the position. Such requests should be made in writing to the Vice Provost and sent through the Chair and Dean to the Office of Academic Personnel, along with the Sponsorship Authorization Form AP-85.
- Applicants must have obtained three years of teaching or research experience in their field prior to filing an Outstanding Professor or Researcher Petition.
- The department (or sponsoring Principle Investigator) will need to attach a memo with a statement of commitment for a minimum three years of support for the position. (For academic appointees who have been granted an exception, it is not necessary to resubmit a statement of support.) If the immigration fees are to be charged to the School/Department, an account/fund must also be included on the memo.
- This statement should accompany the Sponsorship Authorization Form (Form AP-85) and forwarded to the Chair and Dean for approval. The department needs to complete Part 2, indicating the fund source to be charged for the services.
- With the approval of the Chair and Dean, the Dean’s Office will forward the approved form to the Office of Academic Personnel for review and authorization by the Vice Provost.
- After the approval from the Vice Provost, the original Sponsorship Authorization Form will be returned to the department for the faculty member. Copies will be sent to the Dean, Chair, and the International Center.
- The academic appointee is advised not to contact Seyfarth Shaw LLP. An attorney from Seyfarth Shaw LLP will contact the academic appointee for an appointment.
- If a University fund source is to be charged for these services: Once charges are incurred, Academic Affairs will transfer the costs to the identified fund source. (Note: There is no cost-sharing for services for these appointees. The entire amount of the fees for the services will be transferred to the identified school/departmental fund source.)
- If the processing costs are to be paid by the Applicant: Once charges are incurred, the firm will directly bill the applicant.
Nevertheless, the Sponsorship Authorization Form should be provided to Seyfarth Shaw LLP. It will be necessary for the completed petition to be authorized by the appropriate University administrator prior to submission to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Instructions for obtaining this authorization are at the bottom of Form AP-85.