A. General Policy
- Parental Leave is leave without salary granted for the purpose of caring for and bonding with a newborn child or a child newly placed for adoption or foster care.
- Normally, this leave combined with Childbearing Leave and/or Active Service-Modified Duties may not exceed one year for each birth or adoption (APM 760-27, and 760-35).
- If eligible for Family and Medical Leave (FML), up to 12 workweeks of the parental leave will run concurrently with FML, (APM 760-27-b).
- Parental Leave must be concluded within twelve (12) months following the birth or placement of the child or children.
- Parental leave is normally without salary. If leave is to be other than without salary, provide an explanation (if appropriate, vacation/leave usage).
- The aggregate duration of all leaves, plus periods of Active Service-Modified duties, may not exceed one year per single birth/adoption.
- Who is eligible: Birth, adopting and foster parents.
B. Leave Request
- Complete the Leave of Absence form UCI-AP-76.
- Specify start and end dates; for academic year appointees, these should correspond with the beginning and end of a quarter.
- Final Approval Authority:
- Seven calendar days or less: Department Chair
- Eight calendar days or more: Vice Provost
- Complete Family Medical Leave Form