Calculating Off-Scale Salary at Advancement (for 2016-2017 Review Cycle)
October 14, 2016
RE: Calculating Off-Scale Salary at Advancement (for 2016-2017 Review Cycle)
As Schools prepare review cases for the 2016-2017 review cycle, I would like to remind you of the process in calculating off-scale salaries.
Process to maintain off-scale salary at advancement:
1. Subtract the on-scale system-wide salary at the current rank/step (adjusted scale) from the current off-scale salary. The difference is the off-scale component of the salary.
2. Take the off-scale component of the salary and add it to the on-scale salary of the proposed rank/step to determine the new off-scale salary.
UC Irvine Merit Scale:
The “UC Irvine Merit Scale for Review Actions Effective 7/1/2016” (the July 2016 UCI Merit Scale) is considered the minimum salary for a faculty member with a review outcome effective 7/1/2016, after all applicable salary increases are calculated (e.g. range adjustments, discretionary increases).
- The July 2017 UCI Merit Scale will be prepared in Spring 2017, once the system-wide 2017 scales are finalized. This “check” to ensure that salaries for review actions effective July 1, 2017 are above the UCI Merit scale will be done after the anticipated July 2017 salary range adjustment and discretionary program.
- The July 2016 UCI Merit Scale should not be used for advancements effective July 1, 2017.
- The July 2016 UCI Merit Scale may be used for appointments made during 2016-17.
Additional resources can be found in APP 6-13, Off-Scale Salaries, http://ap.uci.edu/policies-procedures/app/6-13, or Calculating Off-Scale Salary at Advancement, http://ap.uci.edu/policies-procedures/app/6-13/calculatingoff-scaleatadvancement/.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 824-0663. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Diane K. O’Dowd
Vice Provost for Academic Personnel
cc: Director K. Gallardo, Chief Personnel Officers, Academic Personnel